Halloween Candy and Heartburn: What’s Safe? What Isn’t?
“Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn and cauldron bubble.” If this sounds like your digestive system on Halloween night, you’re not alone. Many of our favorite Halloween treats are high in fat or contain common heartburn triggers, making them a source of pain and discomfort for acid reflux sufferers.
Everyone loves a good spine-tingling surprise on Halloween night, but that shouldn’t include an evening full of acid indigestion. Understanding which types of candy are likely to cause heartburn – and which ones aren’t – can be the key to helping you satisfy your Halloween sweet tooth without an episode of reflux.
Treats that are unlikely to cause heartburn:
- Candy corn – These colorful bite-sized candies are sure to satisfy your sweet tooth without aggravating heartburn.
- Gummy bears – Fun, fruity and colorful, gummy bears are the perfect fat-free treat for reflux sufferers.
- Chewing gum – Gum stimulates saliva production to help wash acid out of the esophagus. Try chewing a stick or two if heartburn strikes.
- Sour gummies – The sour flavoring in these fat-free candies can actually curb heartburn!
Tricks that may trigger acid reflux:
- Peppermint – Peppermint is a common heartburn trigger because it weakens the lower esophageal sphincter. Avoid peppermint hard candies and chocolate covered patties.
- Starburst – Acidic ingredients in these chewy, fruit-flavored squares make them problematic for heartburn sufferers.
- Chocolate – Chocolate is known to trigger heartburn, so avoid those foil-wrapped kisses and chocolate covered candy bars.
- Peanut butter cups – The high fat content and chocolate covering in peanut butter cups can mean double trouble for refluxers.
Halloween can be one of the most enjoyable nights of the year, even for heartburn sufferers! Choose your treats wisely and take care to avoid overeating, which is another common cause of reflux. Making smart choices on Halloween night will allow you to enjoy an evening full of ghoulish good fun without the scary digestive symptoms!